Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Syriana (2005)



I first tried to watch Syriana shortly after it came out. I stopped watching it shortly into the film.

Then, late last year, I started watching TED talks during my lunch breaks. I ended up watching Jeff Skoll's TED talk, and was interested that his company produced Syriana, along with others like An Inconvenient Truth and North Country. I watched North Country and enjoyed it, and it won awards. So I've been meaning to rewatch Syriana, and I did that tonight.

I have a really hard time with media focused on the Middle East. I've read news articles in Maclean's, watched many movies on the region, and I always find them baffling. Syriana is no different. What's with movie producers and the Middle East? Can't they make a movie plot that's linear and gets it's point across? Jeff mentioned during his TED talk that Syriana was representative of the struggle for oil. OK, fine, I see the connection, a few people assassinated, some blown up oil rigs, etc. I still just don't get it. What was the result?

Here's a question for you, take it hypothetical if you wish, or take it literally and provide an answer: what was or were the basic plot line(s) of Syriana? Seriously, I want to know. It didn't seem to make it clear to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment