Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Source Code (2011)


Excellent film! This has all the moral conflict and story development that I really enjoy, and it involved quantum mechanics to boot!

In the previews, you're told that he's got eight minutes to find a bomb on a train. Knowing this, I was really worried that all 95 minutes were going to be tied up with the different ways in which he tries to find the bomb. The filmmakers didn't do this, they mixed it up well, really well. The combination of the obvious conflicts that arise, and some moral ambiguity really kept me interested right through to the end.

Perhaps my thought patterns run a bit different, but while the main character was communicating with command, I couldn't help but think 'hey, you can communicate with the outside world... what's the big deal? Why don't you just make do with the situation?' And I still hold true to having those thoughts earlier in the film, but ultimately it's the character's plight, his joie de vivre that makes the climax what it is, and satisfies the ending. He wasn't just doing his job, he was more than a cog in the wheel... he saved the world, and got the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment