Sunday, June 12, 2011

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)


One third of a century into the future, what will life be like? How will where we came from affect where we're going? Will our inventions rule us, or will we rule our inventions? How will it all end?

I'm a noted Kubrick fan... I've loved Full Metal Jacket--without a word of lie--since I was 8 years old. Yes, a bit early, but c'est la vie! I've tried to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times, and maybe it's just my sleep apnea, but each time I would fall asleep shortly after we got into space. Today, I was determined to watch it, and I swear the combination of beautiful scenery and spectacular classical music still threatened to make me fall asleep, but I endured, and was rewarded for it.

2001 is as trippy as any modern day science fiction movie you'll find--there is a whole segment at the end I plan to rewatch again and again, and can only hope to dream about. Despite the clearly 1960s style "high tech" they were using, the film has aged extremely well. This is an adventure, but it's not easy. I'm confident the concepts Kubrick left me with will ruminate for some time to come, but I feel challenged to consider them further.

Is this movie for you? I'm not sure. This is a fantastic display of imagination, but you have to stay the course in order to get the full experience. Kubrick fans will love it, and most already do. If you haven't seen it, grab a coffee (or a few) and sit down, it's worth the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment