Monday, June 20, 2011

Mars Needs Moms (2011)



I'm constantly looking for new movies to watch with my kids, especially ones that I'll enjoy too. I've reviewed some recently that just weren't enjoyable by adult audiences and I think that's hard to swallow given how much credence is allotted to box office success, and if the parents aren't in theatres, the kids aren't either.

Mars Needs Moms delivers a movie that I enjoyed, and my kids did too. I didn't check the MPAA rating before I started watching it, but looking now it's PG, which would have clued me in to the possibility that the thematic elements might be concerning. As it were, my youngest got a little freaked out during some scenes, but all-in-all was probably OK.

I read an article awhile ago that said the effects can take awhile to sink in for children. I remember about 2 months after seeing Despicable Me, my youngest started wearing a toque everywhere like the main character Edith, so I can definitely see that the effects take a while.

Noting the MPAA rating now, I've been struggling with a way to determine age appropriateness for animated films, and I think G ratings are going to generally be for younger ages (say, 5 or 6 and under) where as PG ratings might be for older kids. This is something for me to keep my eye on in the future.

The movie itself was good. Throughout the movie I kept wondering if it wouldn't have been better as a live action film, since it really had the live action feel. While the credits rolled, they showed all the actors on a motion capture stage in full motion capture gear, so the whole thing was motion captured, which clearly improved the final product. With movies like Avatar doing this too, I can't help but wonder how many movies in the future will follow suit, if you pardon the pun. Maybe Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within would have been a much better film too!

No comments:

Post a Comment