Friday, March 11, 2011

Morning Glory (2010)


The first thing that struck me about this movie was the composition of the opening scenes... but in my experience, this seems to be a recurring attribute of films set in New York, they always look spectacular.

Composing scenes is one thing, but here the writers and directors took a bunch of really good actors, added a few great actors--really great actors--and put them in roles that they probably couldn't play at any other time in their lives. Diane gives us an almost-drama-queen performance. Harrison--and for awhile I thought he wasn't acting, especially after seeing him with George Stroumboulopoulos--almost acted uncomfortable in front of the camera. Then there's Rachel, whom I adore and who plays the role of up-and-coming executive producer with ease.

Take any of these three actors out, or change their age and experience just a little bit, and I don't think this movie would have the magic it does. There were times when I was watching Rachel rabble on awkwardly and it become hard to tell if she was acting. I'm sure you've heard people talk about various performers and say that they make it look easy--well Rachel sure makes it look easy here, and you can't help but fall head over heels for her while she's doing it.

It's endearing, absolutely hilarious and is worth waking up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment